I went to this year's Slow Crab festival in San Francisco, held by the Slow Food folks, and while expectations were high... for a $100/plate at the "VIP table", it was pretty disappointing.
- pre-dinner appetizers were a few crackers and cheese, quickly finished within a few minutes of the doors opening. Massively poor planning here.
- They had one white, one red, one sparkling wine, and one beer. Nice. So much for lots of interesting local selection.
- Oh, and they started to run out of every wine they had before the dinner had even started. More great planning.
- The meal? Some basic, not-so-yummy salad... and then crab with butter and lemon on the side. Not so interesting unless all you wanted to do was eat pounds of crab dipped in butter/lemon.
- Desert? Run for the coffee and biscotti at the other side of the room as quick as you can if you want some...
- Speakers? Some were interesting... then there were the angry "rebel without a clue" fisherman talking nonsensically about threatening the Governator (Gov. Schwarzenegger)...
All in all? Not expecting to go to 2009, or perhaps another of the smaller Slow Food events. Shame... it sounded a lot more promising.